[plug] Converting Laserjet output to Postscript

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Aug 11 13:59:20 WST 2003

> How does one convert PCL4 or 5 (Laserjet) stuff to PostScript?

Hmm...

I think that CUPS uses something like 'any2ps' or 'foo2ps' to do
something like that, but I'm not sure it handles PCL.

I assume you've got some app that generates PCL and you want to make a
PDF or EPS of it's output?

If it's a 'doze app, you can usually just use a different printer driver
(the generic AdobePS PostScript driver is a good choice) to generate
PostScript instead of PCL. Windows will insist on creating a '.prn' file
but a simple 'mv .prn .ps' will do the trick there, it's really just
PostScript.

OTOH, if your app is old and dumb (say, talks straight to a parallel
port in PCL) you may find life a bit harder.

Ok, that's it: /usr/share/cups/hpgltops . It's a CUPS filter and follows
the std CUPS filter API, so you should be able to use it.

Craig Ringer