[plug] Converting Laserjet output to Postscript

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 11 19:15:36 WST 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 02:29:57PM +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:59:20PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > I think that CUPS uses something like 'any2ps' or 'foo2ps' to do
> > something like that, but I'm not sure it handles PCL.
>
> Nor am I! :-)

There's nothing in the base CUPS that seems to fit.

> > I assume you've got some app that generates PCL and you want to make a
> > PDF or EPS of it's output?
>
> Yep. To email/fax instead of sending by snail.
>
> I'd rather not rasterise to TIFF and then convert the bitmap to
> PostScript.
>
> > If it's a 'doze app, you can usually just use a different printer driver
>
> It's Linux. FormTrap's (shhhh!) lack of PostScript support appears
> to be a result of corner-coding; like painting into a corner... :-)
>
> I've found lj2ps but is appears to be unmaintained since about 1990.  :-(
> http://www-wisconsin.cern.ch/~lishka/progs/lj2ps/lj2ps_intro.html
>
> I'll give that a whirl. Not much to lose except hours(!). What else
> have I got to do at night except waste my time sleeping.
>
> OTOH: there's www.pcl2pdf.com that appears stupidly-expensive.

And windows-only.

I'm looking for sources to hp2pbm by Chris Lewis. It dates back to
ca 1995; which is what I remember being a "workable" alternative.
Unfortunately, my tape archives ar unreadable - the DAT died; so I
can't check if it's in my comp.sources.unix or
comp.sources.postscript archives. Haven't been able to find an
online repository with it either.

Any ideas on the location of hp2pbm sources?

Also downloading GhostPCL to see if that'll do the trick.