[plug] AutoFS and Windows Shares

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Aug 13 14:10:32 WST 2003

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 13:33, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > /etc/auto.net is a very cool and handy program map for auto-mounting nfs
> > shares on demand.
> > I can't seem to find a similar map for mounting Samba/Windows shares!
>
> Attached - a working, production example from work.

Yeah, I know you can do it with a manual list. Do that myself.

> I'd like to see something where you can
>
> cd /smb
> cd <any workgroup / domain>
> cd <any host>
> cd <any share>
>
> dynamically, but autofs seems to be one layer only - so it'd probably
> have to be some kind of smbfs extension. Oh well.

This is more what I'm after (although I'd be happy without the workgroup to
default to the same workgroup), and this is what /etc/auto.net does (Debian
3.0, autofs package). Changing to the dir based on the name of a remote
machine, it automounts all NFS shares from that machine under that directory.

I'm wondering why something similar hasn't been done: use smbclient to get a
list of shares for a particular machine, and mount each share. (Doesn't work
when the server is Samba with non-browseable shares though)

The main complication I can see with general SMB browsing is the need for
username/password on some shares....

Something completely separate from autofs would be fine. Perhaps based on lufs
or similar? As long as it could smbmount on demand, and preferrably allow
browsing, at the fs level.

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |