[plug] Flash Plugin CPU Hog

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Aug 14 10:07:50 WST 2003

I have some real problems with some web banner ads which use Flash. My CPU
usage goes through the roof, and my web browser stops responding, and I'm
left with multiple Flash ads floating over the remnants of other windows
(since the browser has no CPU to redraw). I've had this problem with both
Mozilla and Firebird.

This seems to be mostly a problem when there's multiple Flash ads on a page,
but it's annoying that the browser can't prioritise itself over the flash
playback. It also seems to be mainly a problem with my aged Dual Celeron 500
PC.

Thing is, I don't mind Flash when it's used legitimately as part of a page
navigation interface, so I'd prefer not to remove Flash completely. (Plus,
the constant "Install this plugin" popup alerts are even more annoying!)

So, any ideas how to:
  *Disable Flash by default, but allow loading upon clicking a place-holder
  *Have Flash default to "low" quality setting
  *Fix the load issues, so it doesn't neuter the browser completely
  *Differentiate the flash process running from the browser, so it's killable

(The first being the most desirable solution...)

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |