[plug] ADSL modem/switch

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Sat Aug 16 19:41:42 WST 2003

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 07:36 pm, Sham Chukoury wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 18:05, Ben New wrote:
> > Personally I wouldn't bother with the custom setup unless there is some
> > reason you need to do something the off-the-shelf boxes don't do.  You
> > could use the 166 as a proxy and/or firewall or something instead.
> >
> > Ben
>
> Yes, I was actually thinking about experimenting with squid on the 166,
> though I have *no* idea how squid would fare on such limited resources
> (CPU & memory-wise), not to mention a hard disk that is not entirely
> silent. :)
>
> Regards
> §:)

Squid works fine on my 166 (non-mmx) got it running here (even less ram too -
I have 32mb for atleast the next week)... mine also runs apache, nfs (homes
mounted off it) and several other things, no major / minor hassles at all -
it even had an uptime of 78 days when we had a 3 hour blackout the UPS
couldn't handle) The not so silent hard drive can however be an issue if it
is going to be where you plan to sleep ;-)

Quintin