[plug] Re:[Plug} Open Office RC3

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 19 11:38:05 WST 2003

>> Why not resume it? I assume you were using a decent download app like
>> wget or ncftp to grab it, yes?
>
> No I wasn't. I have a lot to learn.

When I'm downloading big files (>100mb or so, but that's with 512k ADSL,
so anything >10mb or so on 56k would be equivalent), rather than using a
browser's download tools, I'll use a dedicated downloader tool.

You can get 'downloader for x' which is a GUI tool, or use wget and/or
ncftp in a terminal. I normally just copy the URL, and paste it into the
terminal, ie
	ncftpget <$URL>
	wget <$URL>
The advantage is that both of these programs can resume broken
downloads, etc. In fact, you don't even have to resume from the same
mirror you started the download from. If your first chosen mirror is too
slow, change to another one :-)

> CA on Sat sounds good to me tho' - please do if you don't mind.

Can do.