[plug] hidden files

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Wed Aug 20 11:25:01 WST 2003

actually I did use the find command
# find / -name ".*"
This lists the files to screen, after that I added > filename  to have the output piped to a file.

Thanks

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

Richard Meyer wrote:

>find / -name .* -print
>
>This will scan the whole directory structure for everything whose name
>starts with a ".", and print the result.

Sorry Richard, that won't work for 2 reasons-

1. the shell will expand the * before it executes find, making the
params for find incorrect, and
2. even if you quoted or escaped the ".*", the find will also find the
"." and ".." entries of each directory, which happen to start with a
".", thereby finding every directory in the system.

You might have to play around with the -regex option or something. (This
is assuming that you meant "files with names that start with a dot" when
you say "hidden files")

Regards,
Ben

--