[plug] moving MySQL

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Thu Aug 21 00:22:31 WST 2003

It didn't work then and it still doesn't work now.  The error I'm getting is:
# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /data/mysql
030820 23:48:08  mysqld ended
I only want to move the database to a different partition not a different server.
Sorry I wasn't too clear on this issue.

Jon

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

In message <sf44072b.094 at mmtnetworks.com.au>
on Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 11:41:22PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> We've run out of disk space and would like to move either the entire
> MySQL system or if possible move the databases.  Can this be done
> without any difficulties?

This is funny. You asked this question in March! Here are the answers
from that time:

In message <20030302112908.GA3247 at gulag.guild.uwa.edu.au>
on Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 07:29:09PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> If you have the same MySQL version on the same hardware, it is
> possible
> to simply copy the files over (e.g. it's like making a backup).
> Otherwise, an export/import process. A quick glance at the docs
> (RTFM) revealed:
>
> http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_MySQL_Database_Administration.html#mysqldump
> http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_MySQL_Database_Administration.html#mysqlimport
> http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Table_types.html#Moving
>
> Anecdotally, these things work as documented.

In message <200303021939.26916.derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk>
on Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 07:39:26PM +0800, Derek Fountain wrote:
> MySQL uses the file system to manage its underlying database
> structure.  Creating a database actually boils down to a simple
> "mkdir" in the right place, etc. So you can just copy the files over.

In message
<Pine.LNX.4.44.0303022029510.13025-100000 at mail.nathanalberti.com>