[plug] "MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident" ?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Aug 21 00:33:09 WST 2003

Mornin' all,

Anyone know what this means?

Message from syslogd at erdos at Thu Aug 21 00:09:34 2003 ...
erdos kernel: MCE: The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident occurred on CPU 0.

Message from syslogd at erdos at Thu Aug 21 00:09:34 2003 ...
erdos kernel: Bank 2: 940040000000017a

It's only happened once (so far) but this along with a good deal of
other strange behaviour suggests to me that there's /something/ wrong
with the machine.

Googling for this error message revealed a PLUG posting from a few
months ago (http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/2003-03/msg00039.html) along
with a reply from Bernard (..../2003-03/msg00038.html) suggesting that
if 'twasn't due to bad RAM it may be heat...  Neither of those seem
likely in my case (the system has an abundance of fans and memtest86
didn't find anything wrong when I ran it a couple of weeks ago).

Craig: did you ever end up finding what the problem was in your case?

TIA,

Cameron.