[plug] Fans (was Re: Linux thin clients)

Stephen Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sat Aug 23 13:19:37 WST 2003

>Just a thought to save some money... have you tried oil?
>
>Just peel off [part of] the sticker at the back, which
>should reveal the actual bearing area. Stick a drop of
>common household oil (presumably not car oil :)  in,
>replace the sticker, and voila.
>
>Worked wonders for 3 different fans of mine in various
>places.
>
>Andrew

I have done this in the past, and it will probably work here too. The
bearings are still low quality though, and I would like something
quieter if I can get it. The ultimate would be speed controlled fans
determined by the temperature in the case - anyone know of an addon
standalone controller or a software/hardware combination to do this?

Steve