[plug] Linux thin clients

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Aug 24 19:46:57 WST 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 07:04:02PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Why 3 NICs?
>
>          [        ]-----ADSL-----
> --LAN----[firewall]
>          [        ]---802.11b----
>
> I won't even consider having the 802.11b connected to the LAN except via
> the firewall - ditto the ADSL link. So it's 3 NICs for me. *sigh*.

Hypothetical:

If you completely trusted your internal network not to hijack a
pppoe connection, could you safely put the ADSL modem on the same
internal LAN network?

What is the likelihood that there might be a security flaw in the
ADSL modem itself that meant the Telco company could link straight
into your LAN? (Presumably if you were using pppoe, it couldn't
possibly be done from the wider Internet on the other side of the
ppp link).

Are there any other exploitable avenues by having your pppoe modem
on the same LAN as the clients you're trying to protect?

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham