[plug] The world has disappeared

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Mon Aug 25 20:25:03 WST 2003

Hi All

Is anyone else having severe difficulties accessing international web
sites? I have absolutely no problems with Australian sites, such
abc.net.au, google.com.au, westnet.com.au (my ISP) etc, but lots of
URLs pointed to by google are off line (to me anyway).

My problem is that yesterday I totally rearanged my network to put it
all behind a firewall (the aforementioned EPIA V quiet box running
Debian Woody and shorewall). Now I don't know if it is my fault that
I can't see a substantial part of the 'net. I am assuming it is not
my fault at the moment, because I can't find any pattern in the lost
pages except that they are all overseas, and I can't see any way for
a firewall to cause this sort of strangeness.

Any help or suggestions welcome (hopefully a few people saying 'me
too')

Steve

--
'What is worth doing and what is worth having?'
I would like to say simply this.