[plug] The world has disappeared

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Aug 26 01:27:37 WST 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:35:25PM +0800, Steve Boak wrote:
> > Seems like westnet don't like people tracerouting to their
> > server...

> Now traceroute decides to work. Must be only some of westnet's servers
> blocking!

You can try a number of traceroute's. The default traceroute sends
out UDP packets, but if you pass it the -I parameter, it chooses
ICMP packets - some firewalls may pass one and deny the other. Then
there's also tcptraceroute - which lets you traceroute using TCP
packets on a certain port - also handy for testing behind tight
firewalls.

In addition to all of that, it's quite possible that some routers
and/or ISPs have blocked ICMP requests temporarily from clients to
alleviate some of the impact of the latest M$ worm. Just a theory. :)

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham