It's back! - was [plug] The world has disappeared

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Tue Aug 26 14:58:53 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 26/08/2003 02:54 PM
-----

                      Craig Ringer
                      <craig at postnewspap        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      ers.com.au>               cc:
                                                Subject:  Re: It's back! -  was [plug] The world has disappeared
                      26/08/2003 02:46
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>> OK, in mid diagnostics, pings and tcpdumps alover the place,
>> everything started working perfectly all of a sudden, with no changes
>> (honestly!). I'm going to blame a temporary huccup in Westnet's DNS
>> unless anybody has a better idea.

>I didn't notice anything at the time all this was written. Then again, I
>use more than one ISP's DNS servers to avoid this sort of problem. I
>learned to do so for survival (well, useable net connection) purposes
>during my brief stay on Telstra cable a couple of years ago. After all,
>Telstra's DNS was down as much as up, so I had to find somebody else's.

At about 20h30 to 21h30, I was having trouble on westnet, logging onto the
mail server mail.westnet.com.au. Pings to that server or to westnet.com.au
didn't work either. OTOH, I was able to download web pages from .za domains
without problems. So maybe we were suffering from dns problems. Also just
came right suddenly.

Regards
RichardM