[plug] Java plugin in Mozilla slow....

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Tue Aug 26 18:53:35 WST 2003

Craig Ringer wrote:

> Have you checked to see if the issue is CPU load (using 'top' or
> similar), if the machine is swapping, taking ages to transfer data
> to/from the switch, etc?

I didn't check CPU usage, but I was multi-tasking and everything else
was loading virtually instantly like usual.  The machine has 512Mb of
RAM in it and none of the other applications I had open at the time
would be using altogether no more than half of that.  Like I said in my
original message, it works fine under Windows with Mozilla on the same
machine (it dual boots), so it has to be something to do with the
software under Linux.

> If you're using Mozilla 1.4 or newer (vanilla from mozilla.org), you
> need the gcc3.2-built version of the Java 1.4.2 browser plugin. This
> only works on systems built with gcc3.2, so all Debian Woody users and
> other older distro users have to wait for debian packages of Mozilla
> or build your own with gcc 2.x. Mozilla built with GCC 2.x will work
> with older java builds, so there's no need to grab sun's latest beta.

Mozilla 1.3.1 with Mandrake 9.1.  I just installed the RPM package of
Java from Sun.

> My new Netgear managed switch is Java based, too. It works rather
> nicely, however, and I'm quite happy with it. Admittedly because I was
> half expecting a message saying "Your browser does not support ActiveX".

Bah!  Netgear...  just hope you never have to ring their support line.
Last time I did, their local number redirected to a call centre in the
states and I was on hold for an hour and a half and once I finally got
through to someone, it was a fella who sounded totally spaced out whose
name was "Randy" with a thick american accent.  It was in regards to
troubleshooting a Netgear ISDN router and he was about as much use as
the troubleshooting piece of paper that came with it.. i.e. about as
useful as tits on a bull.  It would've been about 2am their time, he
asked if I could call back during business hours and ask for a senior
technician.. business hours for them being the wee hours of the morning
our time....

/ Ben