[plug] shell scripting reference

Kirk Turner kirk.turner at wagoonline.com
Wed Aug 27 13:26:24 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 13:21, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> > > At the risk of sounding like a "me too", I wouldn't mind knowing
> > > either :)
>
> > When I was first getting into scripting I used the SHELLdorado
> > site to help me understand:
> >
> > http://www.shelldorado.com/
> >
> > Hope you can find some usefull stuff in there.
>
> There's nothing like a book...
>
> "The UNIX Programming Environment" Kernighan/Pike
> "UNIX Shell Programming" Kochan/Wood
>
> Classics!

If you just looking for the basics there is a chapter in
"A Practical Guide to Linux" Mark G. Sobell

Additionally has a good reference to many of the unix tools such as awk,
grep, cut, etc... going beyond the man references and giving some
practical examples. And goes into bash, tc shell.

And finally if your a Linus fan/stalker the forward is written by him :)

It was the book for one of my uni courses so there may be second hand
copies floating about the bookshops.

Kirk