[plug] linux on ibook

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Thu Aug 28 10:46:00 WST 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, quoth Adam Hewitt:

Please don't cross-post

esp when at least one of the lists is restricted to members only and is
now bouncing emails to people who hit "reply to all"

> My question is has anyone compared YDL with a debianPPC install and what
> kind of results did you get?

A friend and I installed YDL 3.0 on an iMac on Monday night - very swish,
and everything (including sound) worked out of the box, which didn't on
the Mandrake 9.1 PPC that was previously on it (amongst other problems it
had with mdk)

If it was for my own use I'd install Debian because in my opinion it is
the One True Distribution, but since this was for someone not quite as
techno-savvy, YDL looks like the best choice.

> and the fact that it comes with apt-rpm installed and configured by
> default aparently)...

That's what drew me as well, but discovered on Monday that they've dropped
support for APT and gone back to their own package manager (YUM) which is
looks like a pain in the behind compared to apt.

 - Matt