[plug] Compiling C programs using Knoppix

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Aug 30 15:11:45 WST 2003

> I need to compile and run simple C programs (written by me)
>
>       on a platform supporting POSIX and ANSI C
>       compile under Linux
>
> Can I do that by simply using my self booting Knoppic CD?

If gcc, the Gnu Compiler Collection (which includes a C/C++ compiler) is
included, then you should be able to. I wouldn't bet on it being
included, however, since Knoppix is cut-down somewhat to fit on a CD
(even compressed from the original 2 gigabyte filesystem).

To be honest, though, life is likely to be MUCH easier if you have an
install on the hard disk, rather than trying to work from a live CD. If
you need to install new libraries etc, it makes life a lot easier.

> Also I will need to use a C compiler. I have used Pacific-C in the past
> with Windows. Does anyone know if Pacific-C will work with Knoppix?
> And if it doesn't what and where I can get a C-Compiler that will do this.

I have no experience with Pacific-C, but you certainly shouldn't have
trouble finding a C/C++ compiler for Linux. There's GCC, which is the
'default' C compiler everybody uses, and Intel has an x86-only C
compiler called icc available for linux. I'm not sure what the license
terms on icc are - I know it's free for use with GPL and other free
software, but I'm not sure about the rest - it may have a 'noncommercial
use' clause. Quite likely gcc-3.x will do the trick nicely anyway.

Craig Ringer