[plug] [OT] Open Source genetics

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Tue Dec 2 08:16:10 WST 2003

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 00:39, you wrote:
> http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s999733.htm
>
> Open source genetics - coming to a biotech lab near you?
> Thoughts? :)

Can I license my genetic code under the GPL? Does that mean that anyone can
modify my genetic code as long us they maintain the copyright tattooed on my
lower left corner?

What package do I use to do the genetic modification - gcc, the Genetic Code
Compiler (oops, somebody has alredy used this name...) and gl.o - the genetic
library? Will it be available for both male and female platforms?

I'd hate to see the result if the build fails to complete - which bits of me
would be missing? Or maybe worse, if somebody compiles in a virus or a bug!
What about a trojan horse? Ouch!

As I recall, we are made of self-modifying (genetic) code, making repeatable
testing impossible. Yuk!

And what about forks and children. The possibilities are endless :)

Steve