[plug] LTSP + Multiple XF86 users

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Dec 4 06:41:55 WST 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 23:38, Chris Caston wrote:
> This may sound crazy but do you think it would be possible for a LTSP
> client to have multiple video cards, input devices and XF86 users?

Yes.

The only problem is that Linux runs *all* of its keyboard interface
stuff through a single console driver. This is supposed to have been
fixed for 2.6 but I haven't checked up on it recently.

In fanless land... there are very few fanless video cards around these
days, and the VIA fanless CPUs are limited to one or two PCI slots on a
motherboard.

Since motherboards with integrated video are now relatively cheap (about
$200 including CPU) and fast PCI video cards (even with fans) are not,
it no longer makes so much sense to cram multiple video cards into one
motherboard or even one box. A flat screen, mouse and keyboard is going
to set you back $500 anyway. The remaining major potential per-user
cost is software licences.

Cheers; Leon