[plug] dlink dsl-300

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Dec 4 13:23:17 WST 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 04:16:45PM +1100, russ wrote:

| I have a dlink dsl-300 modem supplied by iinet for my adsl. I'm curious if this
| can just be plugged into my hub and accessed across my lan?

Not if there's more than one machine on the LAN and you're using the
PPPoE client (and DHCP server) on the modem.

| I've also seen what seems to be odd behavior. When the server crashed I plugged
| the modem directly into a linux box and the dhcp client for the box was given
| my iinet supplied fixed IP address for eth0, but then I plugged it directly
| into a win98 box and was given a lan address, 192.168.0.2. I would have
| expected the ip address supplied by the dsl-300 dhcp server would always be a
| local address?

My DSL-300 assigns me 192.168.0.2 when it can't connect to Iinet.
Possibly you could go to the modem's web server at http://192.168.0.1
and click "connect" - that should either force it to connect properly or
at least let you see why it's having troubles connecting.

Cameron.