[plug] dlink dsl-300

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Dec 4 14:41:30 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 17:29, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 02:24:06PM +0800, Daniel Pearson wrote:
> | > Uhm, security issues aside, I don't see why you cannot run the modem on
> | > a hub if it runs the PPPoE client itself, the setup is identical, the
> | > DHCP server on the modem serves the gateway computer, the rest of the
> | > machines with static local addresses will still talk to the gateway
> | > computer.
> | Because it doesn't have router functions.. you can't do NAT on the modem,
> | you need software to do the NAT, regardless of whether you use the PPPoE
> | client on the modem or not.
>
> Yup, but as Onno said, the NAT box, the modem, and the rest of the LAN
> can all be on the same network segment so long as there's no other DHCP
> server running and the other clients have their network settings given
> "by hand".

It gets even more evil...

My modem is a DHCP server and my Linux box is one too. Because the modem
is always slower in responding to DHCP requests, the Linux box "wins",
so I do in fact have a really evil setup, where there are two DHCP
servers on the network...

I'm *not* suggesting that this will work for everyone!

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°43'17" - E150°34'56" (Kangaroo Valley, NSW)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..