[plug] dlink dsl-300

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Dec 4 18:21:17 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 17:33, Daniel Pearson wrote:
> Yes, that is true..... however, if memory serves me correctly - the modem
> runs on .0.2 or whatever, and if you want to use it on more than 1 pc (i.e.
> network it) the network running on a .0.xxx range at the same time, doesn't
> work and has to be .1.xxx for example, hence if the modem is plugged into a
> hub.. you won't be able to reach it.

Sigh, I should know better, but I'll try one more time - pay attention!

I am *ignoring* security issues!
      * The modem is connected to the hub.
      * The linux box is connected to the hub.
      * The other box is connected to the hub.

     1. The linux box runs PPPoE, or the modem does - this doesn't
        matter.
     2. The other box uses the linux box as a gateway.
     3. There is no need to make the other box on a different subnet,
        but you can if you want. The linux box does the nat and routing.

A packet leaving the other box, goes to the hub on its way to the linux
box. The linux box receives it, then sends it to the hub on its way to
the modem. The modem sends it to the Internet.

A response comes back. The modem sends it to the hub, on its way to the
linux box. The linux box receives it, then sends it to the hub on its
way to the other box. The other box receives it and renders the packet
appropriately.

If there are still holes in your understanding, then the only hope is to
do this on a command prompt:

	perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115),10);'

Cheers,

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°43'17" - E150°34'56" (Kangaroo Valley, NSW)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..