[plug] dlink dsl-300

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Dec 4 18:53:45 WST 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 06:41:42PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
| In message <009901c3ba51$0c133ad0$0401a8c0 at flashware>
| on Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 06:26:12PM +0800, Daniel Pearson wrote:
| > No, the reason I said that is because there are known issues if you keep the
| > ip range the same. The iiNet website states this.
|
| Perhaps you can provide a link to this suspicious information. By the
| fact that Onno is able to post to the list, his setup must be working.
| iiNet's statement, as presented on this list so far, doesn't sound right
| by theory.

Although AIUI Onno is /not/ using the D-Link DSL-300 but instead a
satellite modem of some description.

On the other hand: if I had to guess, Iinet might just be discouraging
people from having machines on the 192.168.0. subnet so that they don't
have to deal with the resulting mess that people might make if they set
it up incorrectly.  (Although by that reasoning perhaps people should be
discouraged from using the Internet at all, on account of all the
problems it can cause, e.g. spending all day typing messages to a bloody
mailing list. *grin*)

...and...

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 06:44:35PM +0800, Daniel Pearson wrote:
| http://www.iinet.net.au/support/adslmodems/dsl300/config/dsl300config01.html

I also note that Iinet's web page doesn't say "don't do this", it says
"consult with a network consultant" (and probably implicitly: we can
provide you with one of those, for a small additional fee.....)

Cameron.