[plug] Mac expert anyone?

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Thu Dec 4 23:30:40 WST 2003

Hi All

Just for the fun of it, I have been trying to install debian on a Mac LC-575

http://www.apple-history.com/noframes/body.php?page=gallery&model=575

and got 'almost there'. I have managed to get a bootable debian image on the
hard drive, which closes the mac os and starts the debian installer, up to
the point of wanting to do disk partitioning. As the drive is small (~250MB)
and wholly used for the mac os partition on which the bebian installer is
loaded, obviously I need to partition the drive first, after booting from a
floppy.

Unfortunately the mac won't boot linux directly (as with lilo or grub on a
PC), it has to start the mac os then jump into linux, so I have to keep at
least a small partition (~10MB) for that on the start of the drive, then use
the rest for linux.

I have a (mac) boot disk with the partitioning program on it, but the os
automatically mounts the hard disk, therefore I can't repartition it.

What I need to know is how to unmount the hard drive so I can stuff around
with it. Oh for a command line! Fortunately I have a spare drive to practice
on, so I'm not worried about trying things out.

Thanks for any suggestions...

By the way, does anyone know of the whereabouts of a network card for the
above mentioned beast?

Steve