[plug] Evolution from source

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Dec 8 11:00:40 WST 2003

I feel like such a putts asking this question, but after spending hours
and still not having the answer, here goes...

I am running Evolution 1.2.4 under Debian testing. Astute readers will
notice that this is not available from a Debian repository, in fact it
came from the ximian site. (Debian is at v1.0.8)

Investigation tells me that Ximian no longer creates .debs and that
Debian is no longer a supported OS.

After the security breach last month packages.debian.org is down, but
even if it were up, the latest version sitting in unstable was 1.4.2.
with some critical bug about syncing a Palm.

I spent a *long* time looking for an email program to replace Eudora
which I've used for close on a decade, and Evolution is it for the
moment.

I don't want to download the .deb from apt-get.org, because I don't know
who built it.

All I want is to know how I can:
      * find the official source for Evolution v1.4.5
      * compile and install it in such a way that it won't break my
        Debian box
      * have it installed in such a way that I can uninstall it when the
        Debian package comes along.

Why is this so hard?

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°43'17" - E150°34'56" (Kangaroo Valley, NSW)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..