[plug] [ot] Alpha ethernet

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Dec 8 22:01:02 WST 2003

G'day people,

I don't suppose anyone here knows whether a DEC Alpha will take a
standard cheapo PCI Realtek NIC?  I have an old Alphastation (from the
Computer Angels sale yesterday *wink*) which has what appear to be
normal PCI slots, but have no idea how compatible PCI is with non-i386
hardware.  (Is endianness an issue?  Or a 64-bit address bus?  Lack of a
PC-like BIOS?)

I'm currently running the machine with an NFS-mounted /usr and /home
because the drive it came with is rather small.  10Mbps ethernet is a
tad slow for this purpose :-(

ObOnTopic: the machine is running Debian Woody...

Cheers,

Cameron.