[plug] .org DNS issues

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Dec 9 12:25:20 WST 2003

I'm writing to expand on the issues I just described over the phone,
regarding ns2 currently being unable to resolve .org domains.

This has been mentioned by several other people, not just myself, on
iiNet services, and one person using Telstra Frame Relay has also has
also done a few checks. All report the same issue.

Essentially, all DNS requests that go to ns2.iinet.net.au for a .org
domain time out. ns2 resolves .au, .com, and .net fine - but .org times
out. ns1 and ns3 appear to be working fine. This has been happening for
several hours (at least) now.

Using 'xiph.org' as an example:

$ dig +short @ns2.iinet.net.au xiph.org

$ dig +short @ns1.iinet.net.au xiph.org
198.136.36.245

$ dig +short @ns3.iinet.net.au xiph.org
198.136.36.245

yet .com etc works fine:

$ dig +short @ns2.iinet.net.au ibm.com
129.42.16.99
129.42.17.99
129.42.18.99
129.42.19.99

$ dig +short @ns2.iinet.net.au lwn.net
66.216.68.48

... from all 3 nameservers:

$ dig +short @ns1.iinet.net.au lwn.net
66.216.68.48

$ dig +short @ns3.iinet.net.au lwn.net
66.216.68.48

It doesn't matter what .org I try to resolve with ns2, it still times out:

$ dig +short @ns2.iinet.net.au slashdot.org

$ dig +short @ns2.iinet.net.au kernel.org

but works fine from the others:

$ dig +short @ns1.iinet.net.au kernel.org
204.152.189.116

A dig for the .org TLD it's self:

$ dig  @ns1.iinet.net.au org

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @ns1.iinet.net.au org
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;org.                           IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
org.                    2918    IN      SOA     tld1.ultradns.net.
domadmin.ultr
adns.net. 2003237220 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 50 msec
;; SERVER: 203.14.168.3#53(ns1.iinet.net.au)
;; WHEN: Tue Dec  9 12:23:28 2003
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 83

works fine from NS1, but at NS2:

$ dig  @ns2.iinet.net.au org

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @ns2.iinet.net.au org
;; global options:  printcmd

it times out.

To me, it looks like your slave config for .org is broken somehow, or
the slave zone file is corrupt.

For now, I've yanked ns2 from my local BIND, so I'm resolving using only
ns1 and ns3 - but I thought you'd like to know so that you could fix it.
If you like, I can ask a few other iiNet users to email you to confirm
the problem.

Craig Ringer