[plug] .org DNS issues

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Tue Dec 9 14:05:44 WST 2003

Unless it has a forwarder set, bind will perform lookups the 'normal'
why - ie contacting the root server(s) and resolving the domain right to
left.

The .org domains only seem to be down for iiNet (from what I've seen). I
can dig www.gnome.org @dns.uwa.edu.au successfully. Alternatively,
dns.uwa.edu.au may be caching the lookups.

An explanation for Cameron's (?) bind not resolving even though it
doesn't use dns.iinet as a forwarder is iiNet may well be transparently
proxying dns lookups to the root servers.

Regard,
Adrian