[plug] apache readiness

Tony Breeds magni at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Dec 10 15:17:47 WST 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 02:53:57PM +0800, smclevie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If one were to install apache / postgreSQL on a Debian machine what would
> one need to have installed prior to doing so?
>
> My concerns relate to any kernel options and other software ...

There are no real kernel requirements for what you want.

> Should one install most apps from .debs??  Or can one install from source
> quite safely??

While you're learning and don't have any specific requirements I suggest
you stick is .debs.  When you've been playing for a while and just
/need/ XYZ feature that isn't enabled in the Debian build then you can
start building from source.

Yours Tony

        Linux.Conf.AU       http://conf.linux.org.au/
        Jan 12-17 2004      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!