[plug] Weird kernel/boot up messages

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 10 20:32:46 WST 2003

In message <20031210103857.GE3310 at erdos.home>
on Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 06:38:57PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> I've included below a few sections of logs of the machine booting up
> (with my MAC address blanked out).

Christmas was ruined.

> sym.0.6.0: setting PCI_COMMAND_INVALIDATE.
> sym0: <810a> rev 0x11 on pci bus 0 device 6 function 0 irq 11
> sym0: No NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-10, SE, parity checking
> sym0: SCSI BUS has been reset.

Does the sym driver (I presume that's what this comment means) have
documentation?

> /etc/init.d/rcS: System clock was not updated at this time.

% fgrep -l 'this time' /etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/hwclockfirst.sh

> Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 berty ttyS0
> berty login: INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Presumably you have a line similar to this, in your inittab:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

Could the error be somewhat related to:
> Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console

Is there some kind of device assignment that is not occuring?