[plug] strangely crashing PPro [long]

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Dec 11 09:22:26 WST 2003

Onno Benschop wrote:
> Since all your errors *appear* to come from memory management and you've
> tested your memory, I'd be looking for one of the following two
> problems:
>      1. Faulty sectors in your swap-space

A badblocks scan turned up nothing, but that doesn't guarantee no-fault.
I might run it overnight and see.

>      2. IRQ conflict between HDD and NICs (given that you say you have
>         four - that generally means IRQ space is tight...)

Again, it looked like nothing was sharing IRQs. While I do have a lot of
NICs in there, there is no USB, serial etc so it's not too crowded in
the end. That said, I like modern IO-APIC machines - my home PC's video
card has IRQ 28.

Bill: the motherboard has no onboard sensors, alas, but the heatsink
remains quite a manageable temperature. Also, would've expected a
memtest86 to cause the CPU to overheat/fail if this were the issue.

Craig Ringer