[plug] Slightly OT.. Gentoo users?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 12 13:27:53 WST 2003

In message <Law15-F86Ex3AkwtsQz00001c2d at hotmail.com>
on Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 05:09:08AM +0000, Senectus - wrote:
> Anyone out there users of Gentoo??

1/ Bill Kenworthy, amongst others I'm sure.

In message <Law15-F86Ex3AkwtsQz00001c2d at hotmail.com>
on Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 05:09:08AM +0000, Senectus - wrote:
> Portage thing seems like an excellent idea.. I hope their new version in

2/ I've never used Gentoo, but I agree that port-style systems are
pretty sweet. No reason why they couldn't be combined with a
packaging system such as dpkg, either.

In message <20031212051600.GD8077 at erdos.home>
on Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 01:16:00PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> An ex-user... I got sick of it quickly.  Having to compile everything
> from source all the time is not my idea of fun,

3/ Obviously there are masochists out there who do it for you, for the
love of it. But at the same time, I know that personally I do a lot of
compilation from source and it's not so bad once you get used to it.
Nothing beats pre-compiled packages for installing a system or trying
out software on a whim, though.