[plug] strangely crashing PPro [long]

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Dec 12 14:21:48 WST 2003

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I've now nailed it - it was, indeed, a
hardware issue.

I was able to keep the system running for 8+ hours by booting
'init=/bin/bash', manually mounting /proc, brining up the network
interfaces, and entering some basic iptables rules. There was no further
disk I/O, no swap, and the root FS was mounted read-only. This strongly
suggested a disk problem.

I'd tried two disks, so it seemed unlikely to be that.

Then, of course, my brain kicked in; I popped in a nice new ATA cable
and fired it up.

It's still running, 24+ hours later. *sigh*. I did drop 4x32mb of RAM in
at the same time, and I have disabled swap, so it /could/ be something
else - but I'm inclined to suspect the cable was at fault.

So - sorry to have bothered you all. It's always the /one/ thing you
don't think to test that gets you, isn't it...

Craig Ringer