[plug] Slightly OT.. Gentoo users?

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 12 21:05:05 WST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 08:48:11PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
[...]
> Alternately, if the app does actually need to talk using a particular
> ethernet interface with a particular MAC address, there are NICs around
> that allow their MAC address to be changed in software. You might want
> to find one.

All non-broken NICs can do that. I believe it's a requirement of the
Ethernet specifications. Certainly, it's required for most forms of high
availability and for protocols such as DECNet, or bridging.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal