[plug] install old GUI

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Dec 14 19:18:43 WST 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 07:11:19PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

| We have tried running xf86config, repeatedly, still can't get woody to
| run gui.

Eww, xf86config is awful.  Debian's dexconf is probably a better bet;
try running
	dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

If you've hand-edited your XF86Config-4 file, Debian might be convinced
that you don't want its generated configuration.  In that case, try
running 'dexconf' and then do the dpkg-reconfigure thing again.

| We have tried again to instal woody on my computer, to try to get it up
| and running, before the life support for RH 7.3 expires this month.
|
| Does woody run GUI?

Of course it does.  It has sufficiently old versions of a lot of
software that many people would these days consider it to be useless,
but it remains at least as useful as it was when it was released :-)
One problem might be your graphics card not being supported by XFree
4.1...  On the other hand, if the same machine ran graphically with
Red Hat 7.3, you should be okay.  (Probably - I don't know what version
of XFree86 is included in that particular Red Hat, but 7.3 sounds pretty
old by RH standards.)

Cameron.