[plug] install old GUI

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Dec 14 20:17:37 WST 2003

>>We have tried running xf86config, repeatedly, still can't get woody to
>>run gui.
>
> I've found that getting down to work with XFree86 on any platform (Linux
> or otherwise, i386 or otherwise) is tortuous.

I'd have to say that I find it works well, and with little fuss, on
common and fairly modern hardware on i386. So long as you don't want
silly things like graphics performance, GL support, etc ;-)

It does tend to be right pain sometimes, and the performance tends to be
mediocre at best. That said, I think that's a driver issue - the rest of
XFree86 I quite like. With better drivers, it could be quite good. I
really like it, for example, on my desktop with the NVidia-supplied drivers.

Too bad none of the drivers that come with it are even remotely as good.
Accelerated RENDER anybody?

4.4 will be introducing considerably more auto-configuration, and there
are moves afoot (mainly @freedesktop.org) to improve other aspects of
the server. Hopefully it'll improve.

Craig Ringer