[plug] install old GUI

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Dec 14 23:00:57 WST 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 09:06:41PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
| Ah,

Ha?

| Something I've always been curious about is auto configuration. For
| example, I don't understand why there is no tool to 'detect' the
| configuration of your attached devices (c.f. hard drives, for instance).
| Is this simply because there are too many different video cards, signal
| standards and drivers?

There /are/ tools for automatically detecting and configuring video
hardware; witness Mandrake and Red Hat, for instance.  Back in the
old(ish) days, XF86_SVGA 3.3.x was pretty good at automatically
detecting what graphics card you had itself by scanning the PCI bus -
you could swap from one card it supported to another without editing any
config files or relying on some magic detection script to do its stuff
before hand.

Cameron.