[plug] Random troubleshooting (half upgraded knoppix).

Pabs pabs at perthimc.asn.au
Mon Dec 15 02:11:46 WST 2003

Hmm,

I have here a half upgraded knoppix install (removed almost all the local
packages, upgraded some packages to sid, the rest soon probly).

It has some problems:

I get this during bootup:
Sat Dec 13 20:27:23 2003: ******************************************************
Sat Dec 13 20:27:23 2003: * Warning: The dma on your hard drive is turned off. *
Sat Dec 13 20:27:23 2003: * This may really slow down the fsck process.        *
Sat Dec 13 20:27:23 2003: ******************************************************
What is dma, how does it make the hard drive faster, how do I turn it on?
would it be in the bios? where should i look?

when starting up all the filesystems in /etc/fstab are not mounted
mount -a helps, but it used to do that all by itself. wtf is going on?

my pon scripts stopped working when i upgraded ppp. external serial
V90 modem -meastro companion. when starting up the RTS led on the modem is
on, but an init 1 turns it off and and init 5 doesn't turn it back on. the
rts led never used to turn on on bootup, and it doesn't do that under
windows. any suggestions, or does anyone know of a way to step slowly
through the init 1 procedure, so i can determine exactly what turns it
off, or where in the boot procedure it is turned on?

When I do a halt/shutdown, init sez at the end of the sequence:
INIT: no more processes left at this runlevel
it used to just poweroff, can anyone shed some light?

Damn, I can't wait for sarge, so I can get rid of knoppix.

Bye,
Pabs