[plug] Random troubleshooting (half upgraded knoppix).

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Dec 15 11:36:01 WST 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 11:19:32AM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
| In message <20031215030940.GC11356 at erdos.home>
| on Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 11:09:40AM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
| > | What do you expect it to say?
| >
| > Either "system halted" or "power down"
|
| Those sounds like messages from the kernel (rather than, say, 'halt' or
| 'init').

That's correct.

| > The 'halt' command (or shutdown -h) on i386 leaves the system in a dead
| > state: nothing but the power down or reset switch does anything.
|
| So what does Pabs' situation sound like...init's taking the system down
| to 'runlevel 0' and spitting out the 'no more processes left at this
| runlevel' message (which doesn't sound untoward in itself), but the halt
| is not occurring in the kernel?

That's exactly what it sounds like.  Or rather, the init scripts
responsible for calling /sbin/halt or /sbin/poweroff aren't.

| Cameron, do you normally see the 'no more processes left at this
| runlevel' message (it comes from the init.c that's found in woody's
| copy of the sysvinit package)?

I'm not sure, I don't remember seeing it, but then again, my usual
shutdown procedure is to switch off my monitors and hit the power
button.  And I haven't even done that for *checks uptime* at least
3 days, 14 hours, 30 minutes. :-)

If it does appear, it's only as a brief message before the shutdown
script runs - certainly not as the last line of output before the
machine dies (which is what I inferred Pabs to be talking about).

Cameron.