[plug] P4 1.4

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Dec 16 03:07:34 WST 2003

> Just received a machine with a p4 1.4ghz, with a burnt out mobo.. all I need
> to do is buy a new motherboard, and put it in and my new server will be good
> to go.

I seem to remember that Intel released an early line of P4s with a
different socket form factor, and I think the 1.4GHz P4 would be from
about the right period.

These chips sucked (being slower than high-end P3s) and the motherboards
  couldn't be upgraded to take newer P4s as the form factor had changed.

I suggest you make _sure_ the socket is the right one before going out
and buying a new board. It may also be wise to check the website of the
mobo you're going to buy to make sure that such an old chip will be
supported.

If I were in your situation, I'd consider chucking out the old P4
(compatable with new boards or no) and buy a nice shiny athlon +
motherboard.

Craig Ringer