[plug] want easy to use RedHat GUI rpm tools

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 08:37:29 WST 2003

> Being rusty on RedHat (last version I know well is 7.0) what easy to use
> (GUI) package management tools are available?  Something like Mandrakes
> urpmi that can be pointed at a central local rpm repository would be
> nice.

I looked into this about 3 weeks ago. The answer appears to be YUM:

 http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/

It was simple to get going and works perfectly. There's a RHL9 version for
download which worked out of the box for me. In all it took me about 3 hours
to get to grips with, from my first google to concluding my home RPM
repository was working correctly.

Contrast to APT4RPM which I setup on a SUSE box. Three friggin' days of
messing about trying to force certain packages to stay downgraded because
newer versions clashed with packages from different repositories, etc. A
nightmare, and I didn't even get around to setting up a home repository.

I can see why YUM has been made the standard tool for Fedora. The only bit I'm
not sure about is your requirement for a GUI tool. I used YUM with the
command line only, so you might want to check the availability of a GUI
before you commit to it.

--
> eatapple
core dump