[plug] P4 1.4

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Dec 16 09:08:01 WST 2003

In message <200312160908.03621.derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk>
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=1

I always fail to understand phrases like "decent upgrades for aging
systems (e.g. the P3-800 that is barely chugging along)". Barely
chugging along?? Okay, if you're supporting hundreds of interactive
logins, or you're serving millions of web hits a day then yes, a P3-800
is not likely to be in your class of performance. But I assume the
article is not pitched at systems administrators. (I'm pretty sure
someone's explained these things to me in a previous e-mail, so it's
off to the PLUG archives for me...)