[plug] P4 1.4

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Tue Dec 16 10:01:26 WST 2003

Derek Fountain wrote:

>>AMD should ship all of their CPUs with heatsinks and fans that are good
>>enough to cool the CPUs.  Intel do with their P4s.
>>

>I note from PLE's online site that all their Athlons /are/ shipped with fans,
>and at prices which make them either cheaper or at least competitive with
>Celerons.

Last time I tested a system with an AMD retail heatsink and fan, it was
fine under normal tasks, but if you gave it a good thrashing (i.e.
nearing 100% CPU), it got very hot.  If the machine is sitting there
idle most of the time, then it probably won't make much difference
whether you go for Intel or AMD.  And if the machine is sitting there
idle most of the time, then any performance improvement an AMD will give
you is sitting there not being used anyway ;o).

/ Ben