[plug] Data Abstraction

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 17 14:57:47 WST 2003

Hello, Onno.

This may be WAAAYYYY off base but it seems the concepts to which you refer
crop up in ontology discussions (and software) from Stanford Uni among
other places.   You're basically dealing with metadata, correct?   If this
line of thought sounds interesting have a look at some of the stuff behind
protege.stanford.edu   That might provide some inspiration.   Or confusion :-)

[I'm looking at ontology as a possible collection paradigm for the many and
varied bits of information that comprise the knowledge set to describe and
document computer systems.   And if you can make sense of that sentence,
you're way ahead of me :-)  In my instance I wanted a documentation system
that allowed the storage and retrieval of all possible data about how our
computers were configured, where they were purchased, what software was
installed, when the fan filters needed cleaning, so on and so forth.   The
goal being to enable someone with no prior knowledge to get up to speed
easily and quickly.   There was some helpful discussion on this several
weeks ago - PLUG archives with keyword "documentation" should expose some
of it.]

HTH,
Denis