[plug] Data Abstraction

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Dec 17 15:25:51 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 17:57, Denis Brown wrote:
> Hello, Onno.
>
> This may be WAAAYYYY off base but it seems the concepts to which you refer
> crop up in ontology discussions (and software) from Stanford Uni among
> other places.   You're basically dealing with metadata, correct?   If this
> line of thought sounds interesting have a look at some of the stuff behind
> protege.stanford.edu   That might provide some inspiration.   Or confusion :-)

Yup, that's what I'm talking about, a hierarchy of stuff.

However, I'm writing the code to implement it in such a way that it
works with whatever I throw at it.

I'm wanting to write a map-wrapper around the item library, so I can
store maps, then I can write a page-upload wrapper and use the item
library to store pages, then I can do the same with anything...

So, the map is a specific example, but the problem domain is universal.

Eg. How do I implement an item without referring to the blob - even if
the blob perhaps influences the content of the item?

I suppose I could write a function called descriptor_blobName that I can
call from within the item library.

Please note, that all of what I'm talking about can really easily be
resolved with simple direct access to the things below, but I'm wanting
to not do that, so I can have a chance of changing the rules later if I
have to...

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°43'17" - E150°34'56" (Kangaroo Valley, NSW)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..