[plug] Data Abstraction

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Dec 17 16:07:19 WST 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 03:18:34PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
| In message <20031217070901.GA3173 at erdos.home>
| on Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 03:09:01PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
| > And I thought that ontology was a branch of philosophy...?
|
| Back in the days when SPAM was only luncheon meat?

Something like that :-) ...  although the use still seemed to be alive
and well in my Intro Philosophy unit last semester.  Perhaps Murdoch is
stuck in a time warp or something - people are a bit strange south of
the river :-P  *ducks*

Things like the ontological argument for the existence of God (*digs up
book* it went something like "let God be the most perfect being
imaginable; if God doesn't exist, you can imagine a more perfect being -
namely a God that /does/ exist - so God must exist") don't seem to fit
in well with a definition of ontology that involves documenting computer
systems :-)

But I'll shut up now, or I'll end starting yet another rambling off-topic
thread.  (Not that I have anything against them, but other people might
complain...)  I've set the Reply-To and M-F-T to off-topic at plug but I've
no idea whether the PLUG list will kill them.

Cameron.