[plug] Mandrake kernel 2.4.22-18 (or higher) anyone?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 18 13:53:29 WST 2003

Dear PLUG list members,

The wonder of the internet... a few days ago a lass in Italy happened upon
the discussion we had some months ago, in respect of DSL-200 modems and the
eciadsl package.   It seems she's been trying to get one going using
Mandrake 9.2 with kernel 2.4.22-10 but whenever she plugs in the modem her
system freezes.  The gurus have suggested that she upgrade to kernel
2.4.22-18 instead but in the absence of a high speed link, that seems to be
a problem.   I pointed out that 1) I don't use Mandrake and 2) that I have
never used the eciadsl package let alone a DSL-200 modem and that she might
like to contact an Italian LUG but she's written back a few times and it
would be nice for international relations, etc, etc to maybe get her some
help from over here in Perth.

So, I went on the 'net looking for a Mandrake 2.4.22-18 i586 kernel rpm but
none of the mirrors including PlanetMirror that I have tried, seem to have
it.   I see Arachnet has several CDs for Mdke but they are 9.1 and no
indication of which CD contains the kernel rpm, if any.   I figure that if
I can get hold of one I'll burn a CD and fling it off in her
direction.   So, can anyone on the list point me to a mirror site?   The
Mdke corporate site wants me to sign up in blood before it'll let me
anywhere near the dnld stuff.   Actually it would be better to try for a
2.4.23 kernel wouldn't it, in the light of the recent '22 kernel
problem.   I am *presuming* that a bog-standard kernel will have more than
enough built-in drivers to cater for whatever hardware config she has.

TIA,
Denis