[plug] Whats a good xml editor for linux?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 19 11:12:56 WST 2003

In message <200312191058.35660.derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk>
on Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 10:58:35AM +0800, Derek Fountain wrote:
> A good XML editor...Click here,

I've chosen >, <tab> and <enter> instead of point and click :)

> All that will be done for you; the editors knows XML syntax and the
> DTD tells it exactly what you're doing,

Unfortuantely, I do a lot of work where XML DTDs can't be used
(limitation of their design).

The style of editing that you describe would certainly be useful for
configuration files such as for Java Webapps.

> With a good XML editor you won't have to type...syntax stuff.

This is an interesting point. Editing SGML in vim does require that you
pay attention to the encoding of ampersands.

> Because XML opens the door to a totally different kind of editing.

I don't quite understand this reasoning. For example, OpenOffice
documents and SVG files are, as I understand it, stored using XML.
However, it would be crazy to write an OpenOffice wordprocessor document
using vim to write it in XML. Yet, the question about "XML editors"
implied to me the idea of actually editing XML in its 'native' fashion.
In fact, you even mentioned DTDs, and DTDs do not provide information
about semantics, which I imagine is something you are concerned with
when you are working with "a totally different kind of editing". By
that, I mean that if we are concerned with which elements are allowed by
DTDs, we are working with XML at a level that is lower than, say, the
OpenOffice wordprocessor.