[plug] Enabling AGP

bob bob at fots.org.au
Fri Dec 19 18:25:29 WST 2003

Trevor, thanks for the reply :).

On Friday 19 December 2003 15:58, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> On Friday 19 December 2003 09:29, bob wrote:
<snip>
> On the subject of 3D performance, however, it is less than stellar. Now,
> this is low priority for me - I still dual-boot into GameOS (aka XP) for
> Games - and it's fast enough for funky screen-savers. Actually, it's fast
> enough for some things - just nowhere near as good as 'doze performance.
> I do hope one day to use it for games.

Ditto, the 3D stuff is not mission critical but I _would_ like to see it
working.

> As to the nitty gritty, well, I'm using the official Binary ATI driver:
>    http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

Yes, same here.

> It's far from perfect, but it's much better than it used to be, and seems
> to be getting better. That is, ATI actually seem to be sinking resources
> in to it.

One of the factors in the choice of ATI was the linux support they are
providing

> The best source of info for this driver I've found is the Linux forum at
> http://www.rage3d.com/ - they have the beginnings of FAQs, HOWTOs, as
> well as status info on ATI Driver progress. I definitely recommend
> checking it out.

Yep, found that yesterday, good site...

> Onto your specific problem - well, I'm at work, so I can't check for sure
> how I got it working at home. It was 2 nights ago, late at night, and my
> memory is terrible. So rather than try and guess, it might be easier to
> jump straight to this HOWTO (from the aforementioned site):
>    http://www.rage3d.com/content/articles/atilinuxhowto/

But does not address the non appearance of the agpgart mod

> One last tip - if you're like me, and want control over your XF86Config-4
> file, then back it up, then run the ATI fglrxconfig program (which is
> basically an XF86Config-4 generator with ATI specific stuff), and then
> merge bits from that (such as the large bunch of ATI options - and check
> the modules list, and DRI section too) back into your existing config.

:). I have 17 fallback  XF86Config-4's at the moment... more to come :).

> Hope this helps...

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep plugging :) away and see what I can come
up with.

--
If the meanings of "true" and "false" were switched, then this sentence
would not be false.